I'm in and now get to wear the Red & White Orca tri-suits, the same one as Simon Whitfield has worn for Canada and won Olympic medals with....How cool is that!

This October, I will be in Perth to race for Canada in the World Long Course Championships. It's a 3km swim, 80km bike and a 20km run. Between now and then I have some work to do.....
This past week was my first week back on program. Not too much riding (actually my one ride of the week was canceled due to rain), 3 runs, a core session and 5 swims. Swimming and running are the focus for the next 6 weeks in order to get me back into shape and to improve on my times.
The pool really hurt (mostly the shoulders) and so did my long run on Saturday morning. It was only 18km (I've been running 13-16km on my own and doing okay) but back at Mount Coot-tha. It was a good run and I actually enjoyed it. But for the rest of the day I was completely stuffed. I had a nap on the couch and it took 2 cans of coke to get me energized enough to take the kids to the park.
In the next 6 weeks I have to get an attitude...or that's at least what the coach says. Time to take this easy going individual and turn loose the beast within??? So, this is what he has in mind for me...(it's too late too to change my mind as I already gave him a key to my brain so he can tinker with it)
- 3km running time trial under 10 minutes (current pb is 10:30)
- RACE some sprints at full throttle (he doesn't care if I blow up in the race)
- Train with Scott (one of the squad members doing Kona this year)
- Go under 38 minutes in a 10km race
- Smash a 70.3 in under 5 hours
Holy shit! What have I got myself into??????? Oh wait, that's the old me.....BRING IT ON!!
The above is all in an effort for me to meet my personal goals of racing the World Champs and doing the best I can, leaving nothing out on the course... In fact, if I don't crumple into a heap when I cross the finish line in Perth, I haven't raced my best.
Really looking forward to this. I think, even though I'm in my mid 30's I still haven't reached my triathlon (or running) potential. I have a new outlook and WILL achieve my goals.
Cheers
Richard


1 comment:
Richard,
I got your message. That's excellent. I am going off back to Canada on Sept 13th. I will defintely try and catch a race :o)
I will send u more details once i plan out my own schedule. I planned on going ot NZ for a few days... ;O)
Post a Comment