Sunday, April 11, 2010

setting some goals

Over the past few weeks, I've made a point of getting out to train wherever possible. At work, I have either a run kit or swim bag ready to head out at lunch. Work has been crazy but by forcing myself out for a quick session, sanity levels seem to be better in the afternoon. Weekends have been fun and the past long weekend I took an extra day (5 day weekend) which was really nice.

With a corporate triathlon coming up in 2 weeks, I tried to get some cycling and swimming in this week. I actually got out there for about 9 hours on the bike which was nice....but sore. The race is short (400m/10km/4km) and I'll probably be just warming up when it's done but am looking forward to it.

But the good thing has been my focus to training. Even with the alarm clock going off at 4am twice last week, I quickly was up and out the door, so I know I can do it. But with this training, I need to do more. With an Ironman seemingly in the cards (preliminary approval, but needs full support of the board of governor's) I've been wanting to get out there on some form of schedule. So, that got me thinking.......what can I sign up for between now and then? Funny you should ask..


In May, I have a trail run that I want to do in the Glasshouse Mountains just north of Brisbane. The optional distances are 30km/50km/80km. The 30km sounds good and there's an outside shot at the 50km....

July I have a 10km race that I'll be training for and I'll be gunning for top Aussie at that one.

October has the Gold Coast 70.3 which I'll probably do, but wish there was a better 70.3 to do around here. There's one up near Rockhampton, but the bike course from hearing from those who have done it say it's shat.

Then December 5th is Bussleton, IM Western Australia, one of the fastest courses in the series.

Doesn't sound like much, but I think this will be the basis for my training and will fill it in with a few races here and there.

Yesterday I managed to sneak out for some transition training and really like it. Even though I have a serious case of bike butt and chaffing, the bit of fun rivalry was enough for me to get out there and push it where I could. Even though it was only my 3/4/5 swim in the last few months, I was getting better with each lap. Tim, if you're reading this, yes, I will kick your butt at the next challenge. you may have won the last round by a minute, I do believe you need to be brought back to reality ;-)

Oh well, my beer is done and I must get some more carbs into me....for training purposes of course.

See you soon

No comments: