Sunday, June 13, 2010

Autopilot, could it be??

I'm really sounding like a broken record here....Wake up, eat, run work, sleep...repeat 6 times.

Another good week with a smaller session missed due to work on Tuesday as we had some senior strategic meetings for the group. In the office by 7.15am and was crawling into bed at 11:30pm, a VERY long day. Still I managed 5 runs. My two favourite runs were Friday's fartlek run of 13kms and my long run today of 32.5kms.

Friday it was another busy day with meetings, site visits and trying to manage how the heck I would get my 13km run in. It was supposed to be ran at varying speeds between 4.20 and 4.50/km. Time was tight so I decided to make it more of a tempo run. I was feeling good and it seemed like I was barely moving. Looking down at my watch I was just over a 4 min km, holy shit! I hit the 6.5km mark and I turned around. Still feeling good, I ducked in at a water fountain for a quick drink and was off again. My pace was feeling good and almost effortless. I made it back to the office, stopped my watch and had run in just under 57 minutes for my 13kms, or a 4.19/km pace...WOW. The biggest surprise was my HR average.....164, awesome.

Today was my 32km run. Taking the same approach as last weeks 29km run I headed out, but this time, my Oakley Thumps were charged and loaded with a whole new set of songs. The goal was the same, consistent running, no breaks and tall posture. Out I went same route, and this time was running into the wind for the first part, this could be good on the way home if it stays like this. A funny thing happened this time though, I seemed to be in a zone, I could hear the music, I could see the route in front of me, but all I was doing was thinking about light feet and good turn over. But the strange thing was I didn't feel the legs turning over, no stress in my breathing and I didn't feel any pain, stress or better yet no discomfort.

Every 45 minutes I would have a gel and I would drink sports drink whenever the I felt like it (turned out to be about every 10-12 minutes). I passed the turn around point from last week and kept going...my watch hit 16kms but the Woody Point Jetty was right there, surely I had to go the full way, which I did. I turned around and was on my way back, this time with the wind at my back for the return trip. I stayed in the zone the whole way, with the exception of maybe 2 areas, which I quickly had a drink, took a couple of deep breaths and was on again. It was truly amazing. Back across the bridge, through the trees and I was headed up Telegraph road. Up the small hill, through the park and onto my street. 32.5kms, done, feeling great and truly scared that I may have found the elusive autopilot that people speak of. If this is true, then I could really be onto something. Even better, my HR average for my run was 154 and I managed 5.05/kms for a total time of 2.45 for the run.

I have never felt so good about the long runs before and if I keep on this training, who knows where my new PB will take me, because it sure is going well for me.

That's about it for me, another big week and next Sunday is another 32km run for those of you who are interested in joining me.....

See you out on the trails.

Rich

No comments: