Monday, July 19, 2010

Taper time

The last few weeks have been.....well....mmmm.....busy..That should sum it up. Work has been (and still is) busy, travel over 30,000 kms via plane, about 1,600kms by car, then there was some training somewhere in there.

While on holidays, I was fortunate enough to first run a 10km race. Now this was by no means a big race (about 140ish in the 10km) but it was still a fun race to do. I've done it a few times in the past but this was the one that I felt the best for. It was a mass start with the 5km race which shared the same course till about the 2km mark, where they went in for a loop. When they branched off, I noticed that I was in 5th place. I ran strong and for about 1 km (about the 5km mark) I held 3rd place, that's when I was passed by 2 people, putting me into 5th again. The guy directly in front of me kept looking back so I knew I had him, which I did about 500m later. I kept the 3rd place guy about 30-40 meters in front of me as it's much easier to chase than be chased. My plan was to keep the distance and about the 1.5-1km mark, make my pass on leave him in my dust. But with every time I picked up the pace, the bugger picked his up. I had it in the red zone for the last km, but couldn't do it. Not that I wasn't trying (ran the last km in 3.12) but it was not my day to podium. I tried and raced my race, but 4th overall and second in my age group is a fantastic result.

Then I had a long run to do and I was in Calgary where I met up with my running buddies. Even though it had been 2 1/2 years since I'd ran with them, it was like I had never left. It was fantastic to catch up with them, see how fit they were and find out what they'd been up to and what was next in their race calendars. After our long run, we met up for a good coffee (or two) and a fantastic brekkie. While it was nice to see them again, it was tough leaving, but know we will meet up again soon.....IMC guys??????

During our trip, I managed to get all but 4 runs in, which in reflection is pretty damn good. This past week I managed to get 5 of 6 runs in which peaked yesterday with a 21km with mancub. Alyssa was running in the Jetty to Jetty race and Colleen was running with her. So, rather than spend $80 on a race, Vaughn and I ran over to the race. A beautiful run over to Redcliffe with the sun shining perfect running weather and very little wind. There were tons of runners and cyclists out there and it was up to Vaughn to wave at everyone and say 'morning' as they went past. I ran well, felt great and when it was over (which seemed quick) I'd done 21kms in a 4.50/km average. Holy shit!!!!!

Now with the race 2 weeks away, I've done what I can and it's up to the brain now. Continue on the program and get the mind ready for race day. That's the biggest thing. I know I can run the distance as I've done it a few times now, it's all about the mental side of things.

Is it going to be tough? Only if I make it out to be.
Is it going to hurt? Pain is temporary.
Can I push myself to reach my goal? Yes.
Can I do it? No I will do it!!

Stick to the plan and mow down anyone who stands in my way come race day. I will run my race and I will set a new PB.

Catch you on the trails and see you soon.

Rich

No comments: