Sunday, November 28, 2010

2 weeks and counting

December 13th. A date marked on the calendar which states, "At this point in time you need to be serious. Serious as you you have a mere 20 weeks till you are treading water with 1,000 of your closest type A personalities/thrill seekers/junkies/etc." Sure 20 weeks is 4 months or so, but if you don't watch out and stick to a plan, you will not be ready come race day....

So that got me thinking, what is my plan? Lately I've traded my 4am alarm clock for a taxi ride to the airport rather than training. I leave work late only to come home totally exhausted and not wanting to do anything but veg. This is not going to work at all into my plans for proper Ironman training. I need to focus, but how? Only a couple of months ago, I did my best 70.3 race on only a short amount of training. Sure I couldn't walk properly for a few days after but it was still a PB. I need to find that determination to get me out training..... So with that in mind, last week was my mini-prep.

I needed to ensure that I was in some form of shape for when 20 weeks rolled around. It is coming fast and I want to make sure that I don't start off my training resembling the Michelin Man. So I did two things this past week. First I set a plan to do 9 sessions for the week. Second, I need to order my training plan. Most of this was spurred on by the fact that while doing my core training (yes I use Wii Fit, but hey it works) one of the down falls to this is the body test, which takes into account your weight. Well..... I did my body test and I was up to 77.5kgs. I'm usually around the 73kgs mark so what the heck was going on? Oh wait, I eat like I'm training, but I don't train. That and my metabolism is not what it used to be.

Well, I managed to do my 9 sessions, (3 runs, 3 swims, 1 bike, 2 core) and felt really good. The number of hours was a portion of what I would see during my IM campaign, but it was a great task all the same. Task 1 complete.

Then there was the plan. I got on line and ordered that too. This time around I've opted for a different approach of using what I learnt last time around and have gone the route of the Ironguides program. I've heard and seen what it has done for some of my mates so I thought I'd give it a go. I've looked through it and it seems solid, just a matter for me to get into it and stick to the plan. Oh ya, the plan.... What is my plan?

My plan is to stick to the program, take it easy and have fun, but be serious enough to get my arse out there. I'll need to train with a group as I can't do back to back IM campaigns on my own (as I'm sure my mates here do not want to train with me through "winter").

So, that being said, I need to ensure that I control my work and I get serious about going to bed early, so that getting up at some strange hour is easier. I need to use the first few weeks of program to work on my weaknesses, which seem to be swimming and nutrition. So a greater focus on swimming will be done, making sure I'm in the water at least 3 times a week for the first month.

Nutrition is a different matter though. I think I know what it takes, but I've been wondering lately about what I actually need. Is it more carbs? More sodium? More fluids? So I'm seriously considering spending the money and going to the university labs and get tested for everything from VO2 max to sweat rates, etc. I'm hoping that from this I get a better understanding on what it is I need to take.

So I guess that's my plan then. Get my arse off the couch, get training and get smart about it.

Okay then, see you out there then folks.

Rich

No comments: