Sunday, January 30, 2011

consistency is key

Okay, I know I've been a bit lax and not updating my blog lately, but it's been a very busy past few weeks. I've now completed the first 7 weeks of this Ironman campaign with only a couple of missed sessions, which is very encouraging.

As I've mentioned before, I'm on the IronGuides program this time around as work is very busy and it allows me to try and book my business trips when I might be on a low volume week, or where I can concentrate on swimming and running. As I look back at what I've done so far, one thing is for sure, 'CORE IS KING'. When I put a new PB in the Ironman column later this year, I can look back and point at my core sessions. My previous campaigns, the first thing I would drop would be my core sessions, now, they are mandatory and I'm feeling the benefits of these sessions in the other sessions. Stronger bike and better position (less slouching) running taller too.

The other thing I'm noticing, and I'm not sure if its a combination of things or what, but I'm completing my sessions with a consistent effort and I'm feeling good after each one. Now I'm tired, but the body is holding up and I'm getting the feeling I could keep going for longer, especially on the longer bikes and runs. While I understand that I've yet to hit the killer weeks (T-12 weeks) but being able to feel good about the sessions and see what the program has in store for me, I'm getting a better understanding of what it is this training session is building too. Don't get me wrong, having someone write a specific program for you is still better IMHO, but for me, understanding what each session is supposed gearing you for, is allowing me to concentrate harder on what I'm supposed to do. This and knowing what it is I want to do come race day, is getting me going on these early training sessions.

One of the things I'm finding is working right now, is for me to keep a spreadsheet of all my sessions. While you sit there and snicker, (wow, someone in engineering using a spreadsheet) it's doing what it supposed to. When I enter my sessions, its keeping me motivated to ensure I'm sticking to the program. When I look my training sessions, I might see a blank square and its making me look at the program. What have I missed? Why is it blank? Then I see, oh, nothing planned, or conversely, why didn't I do that session. Using things like this is helping me to achieve the end result, a great race.

That's about it for me atm, but here's to next week where I'm getting ready for the 12 weeks out with a 200km ride through the mountains.

Cheers
Rich

No comments: