Sunday, May 22, 2011

Ironman, part deux...or is it groundhog day?

Well it's been 3 weeks since IM Australia.... ah the distant memories. What have I been up to? Week one, was good, week 2, a mancold that would have put superman in his grave, and week 3, well... a want to return to training.

I've done some minor training, only when the body and the mind were willing. But with the countdown clock ticking down to 98 days to race day, throw in my good friend in Atlanta training up a storm, I have to get stuck into it so I don't get left in the dust come race day.

14 weeks... that sounds better. Doesn't it? It should be easy right? The good thing I have going for me, is a great base to draw upon. Realistically, 3 weeks of recovery is really not that long. I've done some swims, some cycling and some running. All feel pretty good, but it'll take some smart training to ease into it, before pushing hard on the throttle.

I've been pretty lucky to chat with one of the squad members here, who did a double IM earlier this year to pick his brain, and see what worked. Taking that information, looking at my last IM program, I spent a few hours today to go through the race calendar and try and line up a few races along the way. You know what I found out? Here I am living in beautiful Queensland, Australia, where the country comes to vacation.... 'winter' as it's so called, is running season. But yet, even though we still hit mid 20's for winter daytime temperatures, there are NO triathlons for me to use as a lead into IMC. Usually I've done a 1/2 Ironman in the month leading up to the race. Nope none of those, not even an Olypic distance. I think I better get creative here.

Back to basics, start with a swim focus for a few weeks, hit the hills on the bike, and run like hell. Okay not like hell, but Forest Gump running, just keep running. BUT, the bigger training I've got to do... work on the 4th and most important leg of an Ironman, nutrition.

I've got to nail this. No buts, no maybes, no bullshit.... Just do it!! Saltstick? Check. Nuun, check. New gels? Check. I have to get over double the sodium into my system per hour so I can have a good race.

Ah yes, race... Hotel sorted, Airfare? not yet. Currently, the airlines are (hopefully) playing there usual game of keep fares at a constant level, increase them to get people to panic into buying them at a higher rate, then lower them..... We just had that jump and I'm really hoping the pricing comes down as it's currently looking like $4,200 for me and mancub just to fly to Vancouver. Bullshit I know, but what can you do.

I'll let you know how it goes, but the mind is willing, and the body is hopefully going to follow.

A big thanks to some of my IMA mates, who have volunteered to do some training with me during the depths of this Australian winter..... You're hardcore boys.. Hardcore, I say.

See you out there.

Rich

1 comment:

canadiantrigirl said...

Richard I cannot wait to race with you!!! It is going to be EPIC!!