Monday, March 11, 2013

Getting into the groove

It's hard to believe that 13 weeks to race day.  That means I've been on program for 7 weeks and next week is the start of critical training.... 12 weeks of serious training to go.

Saturday was the first time I've actually felt like I can do this race.  Sure the training has been good, but I haven't been feeling any speed or strength in the sessions.  We had a 4 hour ride that included Mount Mee and across to Samford on what surely is the deadest road in Australia, but for once, I had gas in the tank.  I was able to climb the mountain 1 1/3 times and did some efforts on the return trip.  I kept my heart rate in the correct zone and I felt good.... Tired but good.

I know a campaign cannot be judged by how one feels during one session, but you need to start somewhere don't you?

Then welcome Sunday.... a 2 hour ride in the morning and a 90 minute run in the arvo.  I managed the 2 hour ride fairly well but to be honest I was feeling it more than the 4 hour ride.  Then there was the 90 minute run.  I headed out, not really feeling in the right space, but I quickly knew something was wrong.  I was only 4 kms into my run and I had nothing, I mean NOTHING.  I was in trouble, so I found a servo, grabbed a can of coke and a bag of lollies. Pounded back the coke and the lollies and in no time, I was feeling good again.  I was able to continue and got my run in.  When I looked back at the day, I had barely eaten a thing, hence no energy.  Luckily I was able to think it through, managed to alter my run and get through the session.  I will remember this come race day as that is what it's about, managing the day and what it throws at you.

This coming next weekend, I have my first Moolooaba triathlon, one of the two biggest Olympic distance races in Australia that just happens to be in my back yard.  To be honest I think this is only my 3rd Olympic distance race I've done, so should be interesting as I have no idea how to attack this race, guess I'll just hit it and go until the check engine light comes on.  Then just as the pain of the race is disappearing, I will be on a plane for 30 hours as I head to Germany for work... fun times.

Well here's to more training and I hope the speed and endurance starts to show up more frequently.

No comments: