Well the morning started out slightly windy and light showers. Sounds better than the weather back home...
I can't believe my super-family for getting up at 4:30am to come and cheer me on. I definitely owe them one.
The race consisted of 1500 entries in different races, from the kiddies to a starter and finally the sprint.
As we huddled under the squad tent, I notice some of the people greasing up. I ask what they're up to and apparently it was too cold for the Ozzies without their wetsuits. Fine by me, I grab mine and suit up. Having the wetsuit makes a big difference and with the huge distance between the swim exit and transition, why not.
My heat was called down to the wharf and in we jumped. A deep water start followed by the 400m swim. The horn goes off and there I am, in the middle of the group. I'm getting hit, I'm hitting people, even tried to swim over someone.....too cool for me. The bad part was I was wedged in and couldn't get out of the group. I just settle into their speed and do the best I can. Up the steep ramp and there's my cheering squad loud as can be.
Of my group there were 52 and I was 39rd, so not the last. Swim time 7:08. I wasn`t last!!!
Now on for the 250+m run to transition where my bike was waiting. Drop the wetsuit grab the bike gear and head out for the 3 lap 15km bike....in the rain....
Lots of wipe outs but I took it really easy into the corners and saved my self from road rash. I was somewhat surprised in my 21st position in the category but still a solid bike of 31:02.
I was really pushing on the bike but I really wanted to hit a 16 minute run. If I hit 17 minutes, I would have been disappointed. I put on my soggy shoes and visor, and headed out of transition for the 2 lap 4km run.
Well I gave it all I could, almost to the point where I knew I was maxed out. I just wanted to hunt down as many people in my age group so I kept looking for the next calf with an ``M`` on it. I hit the turn around of the first lap and had someone try and keep up with me after I passed him. I heard him breathing really hard, so the nice guy I am, I picked up the pace to see if he wanted to stay with me. Within 30 seconds, I couldn`t hear him.
I really wanted the race to done, but wanted to finish as strong as I could. I saw a couple more people in my group and gave it a strong finish to the end. Was it good enough....I think so!! Total run time, 15:25 for 11th in my category!!
Overall I finished in a time of 53:37 and 23rd in my age group.
Good effort with lots to build on for the next one.......
Until next time.....Thanks for reading.

4 comments:
How was the new bike??
umm...sweet bike!! And way to go! You rock Richard - nice time on the run. You're inspiring me to get my fat ass moving, since I have the Peachtree in 10.5 weeks...and I haven't been running at all. I'm assuming you topped out in the Canadian division. ;)
It really sounds like you were in a washing machine during the swim. I'm just thinkin'...can you implement any skills during the swim that you had developed over the years clearing people out of your crease?
You looked stong in your run...kickin' it up as you fly by someone! : )
It's awesome to see your family there cheering you on!
Tony
Hey Richard.. awesome write up! Love your new bike!!
Hope you're kicking back enjoying the ANZAC long weekend!
cheers mate
Peter
Post a Comment