Last week I had a fever for 4 days and missed some key workouts. Talking with my coach, I have the base there and a couple of missed sessions would not be the end of the world, so I took the time to rest try and get myself mentally prepared for the race. With 5 days off from training, (felt like about a month) I headed out at lunch for an easy 30 minute run, keeping my HR under 150. Mission accomplished! I felt pretty good and managed to keep the HR average down. Friday I repeated this same run and went a bit further in the same amount of time and kept the HR under 150. This is looking good.
Saturday morning, I made my first appearance with the squad since last Friday morning and it was good to be back. Our session was to swim, bike, run, 3 times. The distances were about 200m, 6km and 1.2km for each leg. Out I went and was turning over well, but when I got to the run portion, I was cooking along and an easier 4:40ish pace but my HR was through the roof! This was telling me the mind is willing but the body is not quite ready. So with that, I decided to pull up at the transition and cheer on people instead. I could have completed it all but if I'm stuffed next weekend because I was being stupid the week before I would be pissed!
an unhappy camper with sand is his shoes
This is how one should look (taken at the B2B race a couple of weeks ago)

And how I hope to be running next weekend....

Today will be an easy ride. That is after I have my coffee, bacon and eggs and toast. I can so therefore I will. Next week will be a series of short but intense sessions getting me ready for the start line. If the post nasal drip is still there....well there's always drugs!
The last thing I'm trying to do before the race is rent some race wheels and I should hear on Monday. If I can the right set could knock between 6-10 minutes off my bike so here's hoping.
For those of you back home, here is a picture of the squad at yesterdays training session. A Motley Crew I know, but a good one.

Cheers everyone and here's to a good race.

2 comments:
Where's Waldo?
With one week to go, missing a few workouts can't possibly hurt and could in fact help. If the post-nasal drip is still on next week, perhaps cleats?
Rock the course - you've done the work, now it's time to, ahem, enjoy.
Post a Comment