Well another solid week of training, with work only getting in the way a couple times. You know you are starting to train more and more, when you think to yourself, if I only worked a little less, I could really get another training session in... Man am I in trouble.
A little adjusting this week as I had to head to the Sunshine coast on Tuesday morning. I was supposed to run into work but was being picked up at home at 8am. When in doubt, get up earlier and run...so I did. Out of the house at 5am and got my run and was able to spend a little bit of time with the family before they headed out the door. Unfortunately I had to miss the swim that evening as I got home about the time the swim session was wrapping up. Wednesday morning though, I had work, so missed my bike ride. Other than that a good week, that is if you forget about Friday morning when it seems, both sets of car keys were in my possession and Colleen couldn't get the kids to child care nor to the train...ooops. I cycled back home as fast as I could and picked her up at Alyssa's before and after school care, then drove her to work, a very busy morning, but don't want to do that again. A good ocean swim Saturday morning and all good.
The Bridge to Brisbane 10km run is one of the big races here in Brissie. So I toed the line today with 35,831 of my closest running buddies. Talking with Mark earlier in the week, I asked about a lack of taper in my program leading up to B2B race. His intent (and it seems a good one) is to have me run on tired legs. By doing this, I will be better prepared for my triathlon races. Well it seems his theory is working... too well maybe.
After our crazy double cab ride to the start line, we managed to make it to the race with 7 minutes before the gun was to go off. Have you ever tried to get through a group of 35,000 people??? not fun. I managed to weave my way through, but it seemed I could only make it into the green pen (50minute +) and not the 40-50minute pen I was in. Then I was saved by two of the best triathletes here in Australia. I could hear the announcer asking people to open a path for some elites to get through and the honorary race starters...Emma and Emma. That's Olympic triathlon gold medalist Emma Snowsill and Olympic triathlon bronze medalist Emma Moffat. When in doubt, follow your kind. I ran behind the two ladies and made it to within 20meters of the start line, thanks ladies.
With the 1.5km warmup to get to the start line from where the cabbie dropped us off, I was somewhat ready to run. Off went the gun and away we go, up and over the bridge and then into the valley. I could see both the 40 and 45 minute pacers and stayed somewhere between them, but making sure I could see the 40 minute pacer. Running strong, I looked up and we were already at the 3km mark, all good. I looked down at my pace and was right on a 4 min/km, perfect. I kept running slowly gaining on the 40 minute pacer. I was running well, but it seemed like I was running slower than I wanted to. 5km marker and all good. Pace was steady and creeping up on the pacer...7km to go with the pacer now only 15meters ahead. 8km marker and I was now shoulder to shoulder with the pacer, now was my chance, I turned it up a bit more, but the pacer caught up to me the little bugger! Enough was enough, 1.5km left and I turned it up as much as possible, if the pacer wanted to catch me, he'd have to work is ass off. Under a km to go and I was pretty much gassed, but knew I had to go, then the magical sign came into view, 200m to finish, that was all I needed. Time for a finish for the crowd. Full sprint and into the chute stopping the clock in 39:22 WOO HOO!! I haven't done a 10km for so long, I was really happy with my time a new PB. What a great start to Father's day. Ya I know weird, hey this is Oz!
One more week of solid training then I have a recovery week, which will then follow with my taper going into the Gold Coast 70.3. Oh ya, forgot to tell you, it looks like I do get to wear my wetsuit with the current water temperature at 19.4 degrees and the race actually using the 24 degree wetsuit rule.
That's this week in review, until next week, keep you fingers crossed the water temperature stays below 24 degrees.
Cheers Richard
12 weeks in
15 years ago

2 comments:
wow...great run! I'm impressed!
Oh yeah, you're upside-down, so your season is just starting. We "topsiders" are winding down...Muskoka 70.3 this weekend(!) and the Toronto Marathon in about a month, then the three-step recovery program (in this order):
1. Beer
2. Couch
3. Corn chips.
BTW, that's a dang good 10k. Good on ya.
Post a Comment