Friday, April 3, 2009

Checking out the Swim Course

This morning was another sleep in by training standards and an easy 30 minute swim along the course. Putting on our wetsuits it started to rain again, (only 75mm yesterday) and we jumped in the water.

With all the rain lately, the river is quite swollen and there's a pretty good current at the mouth. As we started to swim, the water was quite murky, and every time you put your head in the water you could not see a thing. It was a very weird feeling not seeing anything, but the water temp was somewhere around 19-20 degrees so a nice comfortable temperature. We were to swim out to a sail boat anchored in the marina where we would regroup and keep swimming. When we got to the boat, you could feel the current. It was so strong, the 40 foot boat took me a good 70-80 seconds to get by. With the tide going out, we stopped another 300m further down were we stood on a sand bar in waist deep water. A bit further down stream we went where we turned around and headed back. Remember that strong current?? Well it was really nice going back as we flew back...if I could only swim that fast....

A stop at the Ironman shops with the family later where I picked up an IMA jacket which I tried on, just once (to make sure it fits) and back into the bag for afterwards. I'll be back at the shops on Monday where they have Ironman finishers merchandise, that's where I'll by some more stuff....

Off for a nap now, then an easy 20minute run/15 minute stretch this afternoon. Tonight the gang is getting together for a big group meal.

That's it for now....Tomorrow is the bike check in....GULP!!!

Cheers
Richard

No comments: