Sunday, October 11, 2009

Kona Inspiration

Kona represents the best of triathlon. Each year 1500 people toe the line in Kona to swim one of the toughest swims, ride through hell and then run through the lava fields all in the quest becoming the world champion.

You have the classic races of Dave Scott and Mark Allen, the dedicated finishes of Julie Moss or Chris Legh. Hours spent hovered around the computer watching live streaming video of the elites battling it out. My hat goes off to Crowie (Craig Alexander) who had the perfect race plan and used it to get his second straight title...take that Macca, he's a great triathlete an a fantastic individual, maybe you could learn a thing or two from him. The you have the unbelieveable Brit, Chrissie Wellington who was in a league of her own, blowing the women away, smashing Paula Newby Faser's 17 year old course record and beating most of the pro men. 23rd overall??? I think they might need to get a third title going, Men's, Women's and Chrissie. My hat goes off to her.

A big congrats to fellow squad member Scott Budd, who raced today in Kona. Conditions were tough and even being under the weather, he made it through with a good time and finished with style. Well done mate!!

I'm two weeks out from Perth and things are going well. I had a 3+ hour ride today so off I headed, on my own. Colleen was kind enough to send me text updates to keep me from getting bored. It turned out to be a lonely and soggy ride. I cut it at 3 hours as I was sick of the rain. All in all, I did feel good keeping an average of about 33km/hr through the rolling course.

Saturday's training was a ride out to Redcliffe for transition training (3 loops of 300-400m swim, 5 km ride, 1km run). The water was choppy but when I could find some smoother water, or with the waves, I was moving well and feeling good. As the each loop came, I was feeling better and better. On the last run, I decided to try the legs out an opened it up to see where things stood. Well, I was running sub 4's and it felt good. I might have a chance on the run, I just need to play it smart over the next two weeks. A change back into dryer clothes and I rode back home.

Going into Perth I have a different feeling than previous races of a similar distance. I know I'm ready, I know I will finish, and I know I will give it my all. But even all this, I do feel like I need to do more. Similar to craming for an exam, I want to get the most out of it and wanting to give it full throttle.

This challenge will be the trickest I've had in triathlon and I just hope come race day, I have the right combination and give it the best on the day. Maybe I can call on some of the highlights of today to get me through it. Stick to your plan and good things will come of it.

This coming week is another full on schedule of training which I want to make all training sessions. With my shortened taper I need to make the most of it. In order to get ready, my bike goes in Wednesday for a tune up and I'm taking my tri suit in to get my name put on it. I was hesitant to put my name on, but after pressure from friends, I broke and the name is going on.

Here's hoping I can make the most of the next two weeks and maybe, just maybe I can pull out a win...a personal win for sure, and if my shipment of EPO makes it in time, maybe an age group win.....okay big dream, but what the hell might as well think about it....(without the EPO of course)

Take it easy out there.
Rich

No comments: