Well, I've almost reached my goal of gaining 4kgs before heading back into some form of training. That and I've taken the last month off, the first real month of no training for the last 19months.
Before going ahead I've looked back at my time since joining BTS.
I've gone through:
6 pairs of runners
on my 4th chain on my bike (changed every 5,000kms)
4 sets of tyres
too many tubes
kgs of powered sports drink
gels measured in the 100's (went through a box every week on my last IM training program)
5 pairs of swim goggles
multiple swim caps
I've gained:
More Lycra than anyone person should own
numerous bad race shirts (the cotton ones)
a good towel collection
new friendships
new scars from crashing on a mountain at 30km/hr
inner strength
a greater passion for the sport
the knowledge that comfort zones are meant to be pushed
comfort to swim in the open water and feel comfortable
On the PB's
I've dropped my 1/2 IM time from a 6:08 to a 5:36
I've dropped my 1/2 marathon time from a 1:34:07 to a 1:29:58
I've seen my 10km time drop to 39:07
I've dropped by sprint distance time down to 1:12 (old pb was about 1:20ish)
I've dropped my Olympic distance time down from 2:46 to 2:27
I've completed my first Ironman
I've represented my Country at the World Championships
Wow, that's a bit more than I thought...
Now what?
I think it's about time to get back to training as the mid section is no longer...um...well... trim.
Yesterday was the squads beach Olympics which was a blast. To be honest, I didn't feel much like going, but I'm glad I went. It was good to get back with the squad and hear what people had been up to. With the ROTW (rest of the world) kicking some Aussie and Kiwi butts, there's just the swim carnival left next weekend. I should probably do some swimming this week so as to look somewhat like a swimmer for that ;-)
I'm not yet ready to commit to training for an Ironman again, but the want/need to do another is calling and it's just a matter of time before I succumb to the calling. (sorry folks, all the pestering you can muster won't get me there, so no need to try so hard) If I'm going to do an IM, you have to have the inner passion for one or it won't be any fun when you get into the thick of the training.
I've almost reached the point of no return for IMNZ, but will be there to cheer my friends on as they give it hell preparing for race day. IMA is an outside shot, but after last year, I'm not sure I want to do Port for a bit. IMC is an option, but the major down side is all the training I'd have to do on my own. Training for Worlds, it was really tough keeping with the training without others to be accountable to. I definitely train better in a group.
So, not sure what's in the cards, but I think I'll start training and see where it takes me, time will tell though.
Cheers
Rich
12 weeks in
15 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment