Sunday, April 6, 2008

One year and counting....

Well as I follow the updates on Ironman Australia 2008 edition, it gives one a weird feeling that I'll be there next year. I hope weather conditions are a little better than right now though. Our squad member Tim, is having to deal with rain on the bike, which can lead to more flats and tougher cornering. Hopfully things work out for him.

This morning I managed to find a small group of the squad who were going for a long slow run. So off we went a 6am for a 1.5 hour run. As we started running, I noticed everyone was running naked. (for those non runners out there, running naked does not mean no clothes, it means running without water or sports drink). So I ask the question, "why are you all running naked?" A few of the girls turned their heads quickly wondering what the hell the crazy Canadian was talking about. I found out that along the pathways there are water fountains everywhere, so they just stop every 20 minutes or so and have a drink. This will take some getting used to.

It was a beautiful morning, with overcast and light winds, perfect for a run. A few people were complaining about the cold as it was a chilly 19 when we started. I ended up running at the front, and we managed 17.5km or just around a 5:30 min/km pace. Nice way to start a Sunday. A quick coffee and off home to make sure the girls can make church by 9am. A quick stop through an early morning police check stop, green light on the breath meter, just a little smelly from running and off again. A good swim tomorrow night to kick off another week of training.

All good down here in Oz and looking forward to Raby Bay Sprint tri on the 20th. Training hard 6 days a week I'm really starting to feel good. Here's to a good first race of the year.

Cheers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"a chilly 19" would be very welcome in Calgary today! minus 7 as I headed out the door at 5:45 am for my friday morning swim at the Y.

Good training! Keep up the good work!

Let us know you situation regarding getting a house, work, etc.

Mike