In a couple of days we will be driving down to Port Macquarie to get settled and take in the atmosphere of IMA. I plan is to take it all in and enjoy. The sacrifices made by me and my family give me the need to ensure not a moment is missed.
No more 4am training sessions. No more going to bed at 8:30 because I have to get up at some god for saken time. No more "sorry I can't I'm training". The hard work has been done and the day is all about doing the best I can on the day, no matter what is thrown at me. If I'm the last out of the water, who cares. If I get a flat, sure I'll be pissed, but I'll be calm, and will change it and get on with the ride.
What have I done in the past year?
I've dropped 10kgs
Geelong Feb 09I've graduated from lane 8 in the squad swims to lane 5. This is a big one for me. I can actually swim now. Not fast, but steady.
I've finally broken 6 hours at the half ironman distance.
I've swam in the last year, distances measured in the 100's of Kms
I've cycled over 10,000kms. This was a strange one. Our car just turned over 20,000 almost the same time as my bike went over the 10,000km mark.
I've ran over 1,000kms.
Hundreds of hours training filled with soul searching, excitement, disappointment, happiness.... and so it begins. The latest issue of Triathlete came out (yet to get my copy) has a list of all competitors and a big writeup on the race.
The only glitch so far was today, while putting my bike on the roof rack I noticed I had a cracked wheel.....not good. A look at what it would take to replace it, and not good. Through a chat area, I found out that to replace the wheels I have is about $900. Race wheels are $1,250. You know where this is headed don't you. I'm hoping to find out if there is some type of warranty on them, but at 10,000kms, I don't think I have much hope in this one. It doesn't hurt to try though.
A BIG BIG thank you goes to my kids and my beautiful wife for the fantastic support over the last year, the long hours away from you all and for letting me focus on my training. I won't dissappoint you come race day.
For those of you not down at IMA, you can follow me at www.ironmanlive.com . I won't be with the pro's and will most likely require a glow stick to finish the race, but you can use this as a way to track althetes, and watch live streaming video of the race. You can even watch all the finishers come accross the line.
To take it all in, I'm hoping to update you all with small posts Wednesday through to Saturday while down at Port. If you would like to know how things are going, send me an e-mail with your mobile number and Colleen can send you an update during the race if you want.
Thanks for all the well wishes and support, it's really helped and I'm keeping a few of those in reserve just in case I need to call on them later in the race.
Cheers and talk soon.
Oh ya, the leg....much better, but not 100% I'm calling it 85% which will be enough for me.
Richard

No comments:
Post a Comment