Sunday, March 22, 2009

The week of "lasts" for IMA competitor 448

Another week down, two to go.....I've continued this week with more physio and massage to try and get my leg healthy, but it seems to be going much slower than I want it to. Grrr!! It's coming along well, but I've been told no more hills....you know what, that's fine with me as I have none in my program.

This week was a bit of fun, last hill workout on the bike, last hill workout running, last long ride. (note: long ride is something over 3.5 hours). With any "last" it was as good a time as any to sit down afterward and have a coffee and reflect on what we've done thus far. Many a BS session was had and a few good laughs too. I've enjoyed things to date, but the real one that caught me off guard was today I received my last program. That was really hard to accept. How can this be? I've become the perpetual trainer, why would I have a race? Not just any race, THE RACE. What does this all mean? I actually have to step up to the start line in two weeks and see how things go.

Well on this note, I used today to go and pick up my race day attire, 2XU ironman triathlon gear. As the name implies, it's designed for idiots like me who want to put their body through hell, all to hear their name called at the end....."you are an Ironman!!".

Looking around the group, we all seem to be doing well, a few niggles here and there, but nothing that seems to be keeping us from starting the race fairly healthy. Some people are looking for specific times during the race, some are out to complete the race and then there are some who have a time in mind but don't want to let it be known.

I really think the group has done a great job thus far, encouraging each other and checking in with others if things don't seem to be going well. I've really enjoyed training with this group of friends and it will be a different feeling once we've done the race. This is in part I think we've spent more time as a group than we have with our families...I think we've all had a few good dummy spits along the way, some better than others. Right now though, I think the best has to be going to Jeff for his dummy spit with his bike computer.....

So where do we go from here? Well, 14 days to go until race day, 10 days until we leave for Port MacQuarie.

So far this month, it's looked like this:
Mileage Totals:
Cycling: 970 km
Running: 80.50 km
Pilates: 0 m
Swimming: 25 km

Time Totals:
Cycling: 36:20
Running: 8:34
Pilates: 1:00
Swimming: 9:07

Just for shits and giggles since January, I've rode nearly 3,000kms, I've swam just under 100kms and I've ran about 450kms. No wonder I've been tired....

This week I'm hoping the taper actually feels good, because after last week's efforts, I could use it. All last week, I was constantly tired, so maybe, just maybe, I'll start feeling human again this week.

That's about it for now, so hope to catch some of you either on Skype/Facebook/or at training before heading out to Port Marquarie. I will be sending some links for those of you who want to follow the race, but I'll save that for another day.

Cheers
Richard

No comments: