Saturday, January 16, 2010

Doc's orders


Wow, isn't technology great.

Above you see the perforated vein and directly below it, the tear in the muscle and the white bit below that, is the build-up of fluid (okay blood) which was a result of the vein rupturing. What does it all mean? Well according to the doctor, it's going to be tender for a while as the build-up of fluid breaks down. He also said to keep going with the training and the tear has healed well (and he liked the fact I took it easy for a few weeks) and it shouldn't hold me back. His words were....'it's not a career killer and by all means, if you want to, go for it at the end of March".

Hmmm

Compression was a recurring word he used, so today I went out and purchased a pair of the 2XU Calf Compression Guards and decided to give them a go. These are them.


So in the 31 degree weather, I headed out with my new guards and wow, what a difference. I felt really good during the run and after too. Now I have a confession to make....I've seen people out there with the socks on and thought, what the hell you doing? After today I'm an instant believer in them and look forward to trying them again tomorrow when I hop on my bike.

With this initial success, I'm going to play it smart, add more bikes and a couple of runs a week too. Depending on how things go next week, I'll either stop or give it a go again. January 31st is the cut off for IMA and depending on how things are feeling leading up to that date, will decide what I do.

For now, you'll see me wearing my funky new 2XU gear with fingers crossed.

Cheers
Rich

1 comment:

VeloBella said...

Look forward to being part of the cheer squad!!!! And really there is nothing nerdy about those calf compression guards......... :-)