A team picture from Perth....Better late than never I guess.
2010, Happy New Year for starters. With the start of a new decade, time to get some goals in place so one has a focus and better yet, an excuse to get out there and socialize...I mean train.
With the last week being on vacation up at Rainbow Beach (north end of the Sunshine coast) I really didn't want to do too much other than relax. Ha! Over the course of the week, we made many a trip to the beach, explored the area, did my very first surfing lesson and actually had the odd afternoon nap.....and many a beer and bottle of wine was consumed, although I blame most of it on evaporation.
The impressive part (other than getting up on my first wave while surfing) was the 10km of swimming I did in the lap pool at the resort. For no structured training, I did not do too bad thanks, swimming 5 of the 7 days we were there. I also attempted my first run, just to see how things were and successfully managed a 20 minute run without pain. Going off this, today I did another attempt at running and did a 5km run to see how things were going. While not setting any land speed records, I did manage to feel comfortable out there and it wasn't until about the 4km mark before I felt any discomfort in my calf. While encouraging, I can tell, I have a ways to go before getting back into the 35-40km a week range again. :-( The ability to get out and run today, I think will look favorably on getting out and trying a bike ride again, so this coming week you might actually see me out there.
Following the people here who are training for IMNZ and IMA, it's pretty hard to take, as I have a new drive to get back to an Ironman and give it a go. Maybe that's why I did as much swimming as I did while on vacation? A sport that can offer such diversity in the training is the main reason why this sport is so addictive.
This coming Friday, I go to the specialist to see where I am and what it's going to take to get back into health again for another IM. Depending on what he says, will determine whether the January 30th cut off for IMA registration is available to me.
If this doesn't work, I think IMWA is an option, although I will need to sweet talk my daughter, as it occurs on her birthday weekend. I know IMC 2011 I will be at the start line as this race is one of the best in the world and I want to do one in my home country. There's even talk of some of my friends from back home who want to do IMC at the same time, so why not. Now, if I can only manage to convince some of my Aussie friends to come along, this could be a great time.
So, here's hoping, 2010 is a good start to the decade, where I plan to do at least 3 Ironman events.
Keep your fingers crossed for Friday and see you out there.
Rich
No comments:
Post a Comment