Sunday, March 15, 2009

FINALLY.....taper and physio :-(




49 weeks ago, I decided to do an Ironman. Now with 3 weeks to go, I'm into taper. If I look back at when I started, what I'm doing now, I would have shaken my head at. Case in point. Today was only a 5 hour ride. Only.....150kms...why the hell didn't I take the car? That's the difference I guess.

The last week of intense training was full of surprises. I got to try water running (not that I wanted to), I did my first cover grab and roll and that's the start of things.

Monday I went into to physio for my left leg. After two times of running with pain, I finally went to physio. It seems the muscle and tendons that you use to pull your toes up was inflamed and in a bit of strife. After two sessions of physio last week, it seems like my leg is responding well to the treatment. So the training schedule was adjusted and in came the water running. God does that suck!!! It was a necessary evil, but I would only recommend it unless your options are very limited. I mean very limited.....With any luck I should be 85% or better come race day.

For those anatomy people out there, it's the Peroneus brevis muscle as shown below...


Wednesday was another long ride out to Mount Coot-tha and around....5 times. When the alarm went off at 3:40am I hit the button to stop the beeping...quiet...but no, what's that? It was pouring rain! I found the covers grabbed them and rolled over and went back to sleep.



For the month thus far:
Mileage Totals:
Cycling: 730 km
Running: 63 km
Pilates: 0 m
Swimming: 16.20 km

Time Totals:
Cycling: 27:00
Running: 6:34
Pilates: 1:00
Swimming: 6:00

Now the questions start to come out...

Have I trained enough???? Too late to think about that
Am I ready? Too late, the race is coming whether I want it to or not.
Why? Who the hell knows, it seemed like a good idea at the time... I must have been drunk ;-)
What's next? Gold medal training for the couch potato Olympics.

Honestly though, I have really come a long way in the past year, even in the past few months of training. My swimming feels comfortable, I confident about riding 180kms and who knows, if things go well, possibly a marathon PB? Okay, a long shot, but you have to dream....

Back into reality, even though we're in taper, the intensity is up, just the volume is on the way down. Before you know it, the car will be packed and we'll be off to Port Macquarie.

There's some new videos on the BTS IMA Channel, so have a look.

Stay tuned folks, it's going to get good.

Cheers
Richard

1 comment:

TimO said...

Glad the injury is responding well...You have improved out of sight over the last 12-14weeks...You are ready! As are most of your fellow BTS IMers. Its all about getting all 13 of us across the line!